The Green Reps program is designed for residence students who would like to be involved in activities that make the University of Ottawa residences more environmentally sustainable. Green Rep activities aim to increase students’ awareness of the impacts that their day-to-day actions have on the environment.
As a Green Rep, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about fundamental issues related to sustainability, with a focus on recycling, composting & waste.
- Have fun promoting sustainability, meeting new people, and contributing to a healthier, more environmentally sustainable campus!
- Strengthen your leadership skills.
- Receive a personalized reference letter describing your participation as a valuable Member of the Green Reps program (subject to performance and attendance levels). Green Reps may also sign up through the Centre for Global and Community Engagement to receive a Co-curricular Record (CCR). The Co-curricular Record is an official university document that records approved and verified volunteer activities undertaken by students.
Tasks and Responsibilities
(time commitment: 3-4 hours/month):
- Plan and lead fun and interactive green events, workshops and other activities in their residence.
- Teach residents how to live a sustainable lifestyle, with a focus on recycling, composting, and the importance of reducing waste.
- Report to the Office of Campus Sustainability any improvements that need to be made to make their residence more sustainable.
- Attend meetings and workshops with the Office of Campus Sustainability and the Sustainable Development Centre (dates and times to be determined once the team has formed).