The University of Ottawa was the 7th campus in Canada to receive a Fair Trade Campus designation.
A Fair Trade Campus is one that has made a commitment to supporting and educating about fair trade. Supporters ensure that as many Fairtrade products as possible, including food and drink, are available in as many places as possible in and around their campus. Increasing the use and sales of Fairtrade products can have a huge impact for producers and their communities.
Here is what the University of Ottawa is doing to be a Fair Trade campus. At all non franchised locations on campus you will find;
- All coffee is Fair Trade certified. (Exceptions: Tim Hortons does not offer Fair Trade prodcuts. Starbuck espresso based drinks are Fair Trade, Second Cup coffees are 'fairly traded')
- At least three varieties of teas are Fair Trade certified;
- At least one chocolate bar is Fair Trade certified'
- There is a poster explaining fair trade; and
- There is a sign indicating that fair trade products are available.
Fair Trade Campus Week
- Mon Oct 28 – Muggy Mondays, 8 to noon, FSS 2nd floor
- Tue Oct 29 – UOHS Mobile Global Health Break, 9:30 to 10:30
- Wed Oct 30 – Shadow of Gold screening (on a loop) in the Agora, 9am to 4pm.
- Wed Oct 30 – Camino chocolate fondue Agora, 2pm to 3pm.
- Thurs Oct 31 – Camino hot chocolate and fair trade bananas at Campus Walk, UCU terrace, 12pm to 1pm.
- Thurs Oct 31 – WUSC Reverse Trick or Treat, 5pm to 7pm.
More information about Fair Trade Campus Week