Emissions and Climate Change
We are committed to protecting the air we breathe and reducing our emissions to help mitigate the impacts of climate change.
To become a carbon neutral campus
Reduce direct greenhouse gas emissions (scope 1 emissions) by 100% by the year 2040
- In 2020, the University of Ottawa released its most recent Report on Addressing Climate Change.
- In 2019, the University of Ottawa used 10M cubic meters of natural gas and generated 20,018 tonnes of GHG emissions.
- In 2017, the University of Ottawa released its first Progress Report on Addressing Global Warming
- In 2016, the University of Ottawa's emission were 15,472 tonnes, which is a 23% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions since the year 2030
- In 2016, the University of Ottawa became the first Canadian university and only the second in the world to sign on to the Montreal Carbon Pledge
- Natural gas - 20,018 tonnes
- Vehicle fleet - 13 tonnes
- Electricity - 15,922 tonnes
- Steam - 3,000 tonnes