What we are doing on campus
WHAT WE ARE DOING ON CAMPUS
- Turning off lights in the Power Plant
- Turning off lights in the Green Houses
- Turning off non-essential lights in the residences (no candles please)
- Turning of exterior accent lights
- Turning off non-essential computers
- Turning off non-essential ventilation
For more information, please contact Faizal Sudoollah
Do something for Earth Hour
Here’s what you can do for Earth Hour or any day before leaving work for the weekend to help reduce our carbon footprint on campus:
- Rather than just logging off your computer, turn off your monitor and computer (see note below).
- Unplug any appliance that doesn’t need to stay plugged in for the weekend. This includes battery chargers, appliances and electronic gadgets in your office (i.e., cell phones, lamps, coffeemakers, toasters).
- Turn off lights whenever rooms are not in use.
- Use power bars with an on/off feature, an automatic shut-off or integrated timers.
- Disable screensavers on computer monitors.
- Have your high-use incandescent bulbs replaced with Energy Star fluorescent bulbs by calling 2222.
- Take advantage of the daylight by turning off lights if your office is near a window.
- Report any waste of energy you notice to Facilities at extension 2222.
- Tell a colleague about Earth Hour.
- If you can, use the stairs instead of taking the elevator.
Important note: Before turning off computers other than at your own workstation, please check with your manager to be sure they can be switched off. If you are unsure about other energy-saving measures you can take or in the case of any emergencies, please contact Protection Services.
Office of Campus Sustainability
- Facebook - UOttawa Campus Sustainability Développement Durable
- Twitter - uOttawaSustain
- Instagram - uOttawaSustain
- Blogger - the Sustainabilitree